- Justice: Dismantling barriers to resources and opportunities in society so that all individuals and communities can live a full and dignified life.
- Equity: Allocating resources to ensure everyone has access to the same opportunities. Equity recognizes that advantages and barriers—the “isms”—exist.
- Diversity: All the differences between us based on which we experience advantages or encounter barriers to opportunities. Diversity isn’t just about racial differences.
- Inclusion: Fostering a sense of belonging by centering, valuing, and amplifying the voices, perspectives, and styles of those who encounter more barriers based on their identities and lived experiences.
~Definition from J.E.D.I Collaborative
A Mighty Kindness is dedicated to creating a kinder, more just, equitable, and inclusive society.
Our commitment as an organization and community is to:
- Amplify the voices of the perpetually ignored, marginalized, and disempowered members of our society.
- Create a sanctuary for those whose lived experiences are different from our own.
- Provide equitable access to our programs for a diverse group of people with different economic means.
- Help transform or dismantle the systems and institutions of oppression to promote equity for all.
At A Mighty Kindness, we recognize the existence and life-altering impact of systemic racism, socioeconomic disparities, and educational inequities that have disproportionately affected the perpetually-ignored and underserved communities. We know these systems must be dismantled if we want organizational institutions to represent just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive (JEDI) learning opportunities where all members are valued, heard, respected, and empowered to pursue their full potential. We seek to address these historic inequities in how we work with each other and those we serve.
As an organization, we take collective responsibility in creating an environment where everyone feels included, respected, and comfortable in bringing their whole self to a circle. We embrace people of all backgrounds, cultures, and life experiences and seek to discover our mutuality of shared experiences, while also respecting our unique differences. We honor diverse perspectives, hold space for truly hearing and understanding each other, and harness our collective strengths to bring into the world offerings that promote justice, equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
We are also committed to our individual and ongoing growth as leaders and collective growth as a community. We do this by listening to our community-at-large; through our ongoing education as leaders; and by actively evaluating and seeking to rectify any disparities in intention versus impact in our language or actions.
Being inclusive of others—true and deep effort to understand and welcome folks with different lived experiences than ours—fosters diversity. Diversity, by bringing many people with different stories, backgrounds, skills, and needs into one place, requires equity to be sustainable. And equity, which strives to give people the specific resources they need to live up to their own individual or collective potential, aims to remove unfair barriers to opportunity and ultimately build a just society: one where everyone, regardless of who they are, is equally able to live a full and meaningful life.
—Taimur Ahmad, Access Fund